Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Domestic Violence and Abuse

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Fran5
Fran5's Flag is: United States

Default Peace bond and home rights

I live in Ontario Canada. My wife is now in the US.
I was assaulted by my now ex spouse and she was removed from the home. A peace bond was issued saying she could not come near me for a year. Her name is on the house and our vehicle and she will not agree with anything. I want to keep both the house and car. We were common-law and my understanding was she was entitled to half of any equity on the house at the time of seperation (which was none, value of the house did not go up). She had come once or twice to pick up items with the police. My question is how long does it take for all items in the house to be legally mine? And after the peace bond is up, what are my rights. Even though her name is on the house, can she have me removed even though I am the one paying for all the bills? Can she take the vehicle as well?
Fran5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Peace bond and home rights

I wish to inform you that as your ex spouse name is on ownership document thus you may not claim ownership to premises. However after 10 years of possession you may claim property ownership through adverse possession. If you are having joint ownership then you may not be evicted as you are part owner of premises. You may be evicted if premises is solely in the name of your ex spouse.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Peace bond and home rights

If the house and vehicle is owned by you and your ex she has half ownership in that properties. If she has not contributed anything in the repayments, you have to produce evidence regarding the repayments. After the expiry of the peace bond and if your wife purged the peace bond records with the police she can come and collect the belongings.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote