Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Domestic Violence and Abuse

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
Help!!
Help!!'s Flag is: India

Default Help needed: I am on H1b and work in California

I am on H1b and work in California. My husband is on H4 with EAD. He recently started working. We have been married since 2 years. I have had 1 incident of domestic abuse in May. I recently put all the incidences that have happened in the last 2 years together and learned that his intention of marrying me was only to get a status to reside in US. I have supported him financially for 1 year. Also I have been blackmailed and blamed several times.
Now, his visa stamp has expired and require my documents to get a new stamp. He and his family have been harassing me to provide him with my documents. He moved out of the house but I feel very insecure.
I do not have any family in the US. I want to know the steps that I can take to feel and make myself safe. Any help in this is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
Help!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Help needed

You can say no to his family's demands.

You can take out a restraining order if you fear domestic violence.

You can hire a lawyer and file for divorce.

Any one or all of the above is up to you.

Also google domestic violence support for your city and you'll find resources for counseling, support and assistance.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that under Section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), any non citizen convicted after September 30, 1996 of domestic violence may be deported. Domestic violence is also a crime of moral turpitude. You may report the matter to USCIS and law enforcement agencies. They will investigate the matter. Alternatively, you may consult an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

If you anticipate any threat from your husband or from his family members you can file a complaint with the law enforcement. Further, if there was no serious issues between you and your husband you are required to provide your documents for stamping.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #5
Help!!
Help!!'s Flag is: India

Your response is appreciated. I had few questions in mind.
1. How will my H1b visa be affected in the process?
2. How long will it take for USCIS to cancel his H4 visa?
3. He has plans of applying for H1b in the coming fiscal year, will this cancellation of H4 visa affect his futures visas?
Thanks in advance.
Help!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #6
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that the status of your spouse will be illegal after cancellation of H4 visa unless he leaves the country immediately or a change of status application is under active consideration at that point of time. The reason for cancellation of H4 visa will always be considered in any future visa application of your spouse. You may contact an attorney and seek further guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Unregistered

I got in touch with an attorney. He told me that H4 cannot be cancelled without my husband's consent since he is the one who signed it. Is this true? I am shocked to know this. As a principle applicant can I not do anything?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
Unregistered

Default Re: Help needed: I am on H1b and work in California

Did you say it already expired?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Unregistered

His visa stamp on his passport has expired but he has a new approval notice valid till 2020..

Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Help needed: I am on H1b and work in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I got in touch with an attorney. He told me that H4 cannot be cancelled without my husband's consent since he is the one who signed it. Is this true? I am shocked to know this. As a principle applicant can I not do anything?
Who are you and why are you hijacking someone else'e thread?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote