Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Insurance Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
RPACE
RPACE's Flag is: United States

Default Is my car accident still covered on the last day of the grace period?

Is my car accident still covered by my insurance on the last day of the grace period when I failed to pay?

The accident was on the last day but was reported the next day.
The other party also signed a police statement the next day showing the date when the "minor" collision happened.

Approx 2500 in damages says the body shop.

Thank you!
RPACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Is my car accident still covered on the last day of the grace period?

The general convention with insurance policies is that they start at 12:01 AM on the first date of coverage and end at 12:01 AM on the last day of coverage.

Your policy may differ. It also depends on exactly what notices you got and exactly what they said about payment and coverage.

All I can suggest is that you report the claim to your insurance company. There should be a toll free claims phone number in your policy papers. The claims people will decide whether you are covered or not.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Is my car accident still covered on the last day of the grace period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPACE View Post
Is my car accident still covered by my insurance on the last day of the grace period when I failed to pay?

The accident was on the last day but was reported the next day.
The other party also signed a police statement the next day showing the date when the "minor" collision happened.

Approx 2500 in damages says the body shop.

Thank you!
If the grace period was still operative then you would likely be covered but you may be or have been required to pay the past due premium.
Check your policy terms.

It's never wise to push your luck with such things as I guess you now know.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

An insurance grace period is a defined amount of time after the premium is due in which a policyholder can make a premium payment without coverage lapsing. Depending on the insurance policy, the grace period can be as little as 24 hours or as long as 30 days. Insurance grace periods protect policyholders from immediately losing coverage in case they are late with a premium payment. Regulations covering insurance grace periods, including how long they must last across policy types, are managed by states. As long as the insurance grace period is in effect, the insurer will be responsible for paying providers for any services they render to the policyholder.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Sister1
Sister1's Flag is: United States

But within the grace period you have to pay the premium still obviously.
Sister1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
TRUE LAW 55

Why do so many people push right to the limits on these things, it's crazy.