Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Car Accident Claims

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
ZAPPER
ZAPPER's Flag is: United States

Default Neighbor purposely keyed my car and damaged paint job

A lady in my building was caught keying my car on a video.

She did it apparently because I was unloading groceries and temporarily partially in the way of her exit from the building.
The city prosecutor (or somebody like that) fined her 250 dollars after the building provided the video, but now the damage estimate from my body shop is 550 dollars to repair it.

Does my insurance legally have to pay that in Michigan, which is a no fault state or what do I do next? How does that work now because SHE should pay it seems to me.
ZAPPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Neighbor purposely keyed my car and damaged paint job

I wish to inform you that you may serve a Notice on both your neighbor and your insurance company to compensate you for the damage. Further, you may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER View Post

Does my insurance legally have to pay that in Michigan, which is a no fault state or what do I do next? How does that work now because SHE should pay it seems to me.

Read your policy. I can't swear to it (and I don't have time to look it up) but I think Michigan's no fault system applies to injuries and your own policy would cover the vandalism damage. Unfortunately, you probably have a deductible so it wouldn't make sense to file the claim.

Ignore AFFA,

Your best bet is to sue her in small claims court. The video evidence would likely get you a judgment.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
olive
Top Level Member

Talk to the prosecutor. ASAP.
The prosecutor may help arrange restitution without you having to do anything!
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2020, 05:39 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

A keyed car is considered a vandalized car, and vandalism is covered under the comprehensive coverage portion of your auto insurance policy.1? Determining whether or not you purchased the coverage is fairly simple: Check your declaration page to see if a dollar amount is listed under comprehensive or other than collision coverage. One amount should be your deductible, and the other amount should be how much you are paying for the coverage. If you are not able to locate your declaration page, contact your insurance agent or check your insurance policy coverage online. If you still can't figure out your coverage, call your insurance carrier's customer service number to get help.

If you are not covered, you can sue your neighbor in Small Claims Court. Go to the Small Claims Court Clerk’s office in the proper county and fill out a statement of claim. You may also use an outside service to fill out your statement of claim and electronically file it with the Court. You will have to pay the court fee to file your claim by cash, certified check, money order or bank check made out to ""Clerk of the Civil Court."" The clerk will give you a date for the hearing. After your claim is filed, the Small Claims Court clerk will serve a notice of your claim by sending it to the defendant. Before the date of the hearing, you should gather all the evidence that supports your claim or your defense. f there are records that are not in your possession, you may wish to subpoena them to be produced at the hearing date. You should also prepare any witnesses you plan to testify at the hearing in support of your claim or defense. If a witness, other than an expert witness, will not testify voluntarily, you can serve the witness with a subpoena requiring them to appear in court and testify.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER View Post
A lady in my building was caught keying my car on a video.

She did it apparently because I was unloading groceries and temporarily partially in the way of her exit from the building.
The city prosecutor (or somebody like that) fined her 250 dollars after the building provided the video, but now the damage estimate from my body shop is 550 dollars to repair it.

LOCK HER UP!!

Old 05-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
ena07

I agree with the poster above; that really is a crime for which some significant punishment is justified.
I am sure it was not the first time she did it.