Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Consumer Complaints

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Unregistered

Thumbs down Comfort Suites -- I had a "phantom" charge on my bank account

In December, I stayed at a Comfort Suites on a business trip. I work for the city so my stay was tax exempt. I paid with my debit card, presented my tax exempt form, and my bank account was charged the day I checked out of the hotel. Now almost a month later, I noticed a "phantom" charge on my bank account. Today, 4 days later, this "phantom" charge finally showed to be a charge from Comfort Suites. I contacted them to question them and was told that the tax exempt form was lost so they needed to charge me for taxes on my stay. Without any attempt to contact me for the paperwork, they charged my bank account. I was informed that they do this every month; they charge in mass for lost tax exempt forms. They mentioned to me that they knew this was unethical business practice. Can they legally do this? Take an additional charge without my authorization after almost a month's time?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Comfort Suites -- I had a "phantom" charge on my bank account

Normally no. Report it to your card company.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No