Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
BrigitB

Unhappy Rodent issue and nothing is being handled

Denver , Colorado
Moved into our apartment on September 27, 2015 . 3 weeks later my daughter saw a mouse.She called the office and was told they will set up traps outside the property . A few days later she saw it again and I contacted the property myself . They send me a pest control person . All he did was place a few traps . He did not check the apartment for entry points etc . Myself and my husband found a few holes and covered them with steel wool . This was at the end of October . Earlier this month ( December ) I heard scratching noises from inside the walls , it was really creeping me out . And I saw a mouse . We checked the entire apartment and found 17 holes chewed under the kitchen sink ( huge ) bathroom sinks , baseboard heaters , in closets and so on . So far we caught 8 mice ( in 4 days ) . I have send emails to the leasing office , contacted corporate via Facebook messenger and have contacted the regional office in Denver with photos attached . Photo's the rodents , one which is dangling in my granddaughters dress , dead ! So disgusting . I am not getting responses , I also contacted the Denver County Health Inspector and he came by this past Monday . At this point all I want is out of my lease . Neighbors saying this is the norm here and I am just upset . It's unsanitary and a health code violation . How do I get out of the lease ?
BrigitB is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Rodent issue and nothing is being handled

I wish to inform you that your lease agreement may govern your rights. Generally you may terminate lease if house is uninhabitable. It is duty of landlord to provide premises which are habitable thus you may terminate lease on the ground that landlord has failed to perform his duties. You may file a complaint with public health inspectors who may verify that premises are uninhabitable after which you may give notice to landlord regarding termination of lease.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
BrigitB

Thank you , that is what I thought .

Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Why don't you buy some mouse traps, 8 packs are good, the old fashioned kind. tie small loops of thread around the head so little teeth get hooked into them. Spread a little peanut butter over the thread/trap head. You should clean them out in no time. Save the receipts for the traps.

This is not a major issue. We get mice every year due to the woods. You catch them and solve the problem. It will be much easier than fighting with mgmt.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
BrigitB

I have done all of that . Having 8 plus mice and 17 entry holes in an apartment is a big deal . When you have an infestation and the entire building is compromised it is something they need to address .

Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I can understand your frustration, however, the remedy is exactly what I suggested. They are permitted time to remedy even if you properly notify them. You can try, however, it might be easier to just deal with capturing the mice. If the health inspector did not condemn the property as unfit, you will have trouble convincing a judge.

Personally, we live by the woods and they are a natural occurrence. I still have 2 that I know of to catch. One over the bedroom and one over the living room. We wanted a home to commune with nature, that is what we have. I just have not gotten around to catching the last couple this fall. I would not trade them for the deer and other wildlife we live with.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
MaxnD
MaxnD's Flag is: United States

Try natural pest control by having cats around, you can change your pest control services. If that double your family is in danger.
MaxnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
IAMM
IAMM's Flag is: United States

One apartment can't really resolve the problem alone, the entire building needs a pest control service and if management cannot do that then move out!

Keep your records and evidence in case the incompetent landlord tries to sue you.
IAMM is offline   Reply With Quote