• Friend In Court
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Apr 2011
    • United States

Re: Legal age in which a person can have "Sex Reassignment Surgery"

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I'm 11 and I'm a tomboy and I dont feel I'm a girl can I do this
    Not at age 11, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that the hormones of your body have not settled yet. You will be going through puberty if not begun already, and these have to be dealt with employing medications which a doctor is not likely to prescribe. My recommendation is that you wait a few years, then see a doctor about planning for sex reassignment. At the age of 14 and up, your medical records can be kept private if you wish, so your conversation with your physician can be kept private from your parents, just between you and your doctor. Until a decision is made.

Sex reassignment doctors usually prefer to begin at the earliest in late teens, like 17 or 18 when the body's hormones are more settled and the person's sex identity is better established. It is a huge decision to make.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by DerekGM
      Please I really need answers to this, it is very important to me!!

What is the legal age in which a person can have Sex Reassignment Surgery. I looked online and some websites say one thing and some say another and I need to know for a fact. I'm assuming its 18 however I really don't want to wait that long. If it is 18 is there any way at all someone could have it at maybe 16 or so? I know that's really young but I need this.
      We are planning on getting top surgery for our 14 year old son this summer. He will be seen and cleared by a therapist and have letters from both his MD and the therapist. Our medical insurance covers anything related to transgender transitioning, up to $10,000, with no age limit. Individual surgeons may have age limits, but I've found many on the West coast do not. I saw your post is from 2013... There have been so many wonderful changes since then. Best of luck to you!!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Disagreeable
        A surgeon would not likely allow you to at your age. Discuss the issue with mom n dad. If they will support you, you could go so far as to bind your breasts, take male hormones and have a legal name change.
        Absolutely, you can! The sooner you start taking hormones the better. BEFORE puberty "settles in" is preferred! Tell someone you trust how you feel - there is such great support and information out there. Go for it!

Comment

• Unregistered

What is the legal age in which a person can have Sex Reassignment Surgery. I looked online and some websites say one thing and some say another and I need to know for a fact. I'm assuming its 18 however I really don't want to wait that long. If it is 18 is there any way at all someone could have it at maybe 16 or so? I know that's really young but I need this.
          you only need to be 15 and up. go get 'em!

Comment

• Friend In Court
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Apr 2011
            • United States

We are planning on getting top surgery for our 14 year old son this summer. He will be seen and cleared by a therapist and have letters from both his MD and the therapist. Our medical insurance covers anything related to transgender transitioning, up to $10,000, with no age limit. Individual surgeons may have age limits, but I've found many on the West coast do not. I saw your post is from 2013... There have been so many wonderful changes since then. Best of luck to you!!
            Recently there has been a lot of press and information about sex reassignments and I agree, having changed my opinion with new information. If the parents are supportive and are willing and able to pay for the transitioning, then by all means pursue it.

People are becoming more educated about the feelings and lives of those who feel they are one sex in another sex's body.

Comment

• Unregistered

Yes I was 11 whenever I got sex chang and I'm 13 now I needed a new start and I did my name was Imili now it's jam s

Comment

• Unregistered

I'm just starting to think about this and I'm still very nervous and unsure about it. I'm almost certain I want to change but I'm afraid of saying it and facing the reactions. I'm 16 and want to change before I get into college. I'm afraid of talking to my parents or any one else (I'm already a quiet shy type) and am getting myself stressed out thinking about it all. I haven't said or hinted at anything like this but decided to do some research on it and I was hoping for some advice and information?

Comment

• Unregistered

I am going through the exact same thing as you, I'm 14 and I discovered I was trans a few months ago, I haven't told anyone yet and I also, like you, want to be a girl for college and forth. I have done plenty of research of prices for SRS and side effects and ages and not is all quite possible, you just have to tell someone, preferably parents or a close friend. Once your parents agree and have money for it all you need is determination and time. I don't know about you but I for one am not too lucky in the money factor, my parents don't make the most money ever so I don't think I'll have boobs anytime soon. Best of luck to you though, just tell your parents, it's all you need to do.

Comment

• Unregistered

I am going through the exact same thing as you, I'm 14 and I discovered I was trans a few months ago, I haven't told anyone yet and I also, like you, want to be a girl for college and forth. I have done plenty of research of prices for SRS and side effects and ages and it is all quite possible, you just have to tell someone, preferably parents or a close friend. Once your parents agree and have money for it all you need is determination and time. I don't know about you but I for one am not too lucky in the money factor, my parents don't make the most money ever so I don't think I'll have boobs anytime soon. Best of luck to you though, just tell your parents, it's all you need to do.

Sorry, messed up there, this is the NON messed up version

Comment

• Unregistered

Also don't forget that if your parents really truly love you, they'll accept you for who you are

Comment

• Unregistered

What is the age the process and surgery can be done in Oregon?
                        Can anybody confirm that for me?

Comment

• Unregistered

Please read the first 6 or 7 posts in this discussion.
                          The same applies to you.
                          Normally you need to be an adult to have this type of surgery..

Comment

• Hanna 432

IMO it should be up to the child and his or her family when and how to proceed.
                            I don't know if any state allows that, but they should!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Hanna 432
                              IMO it should be up to the child and his or her family when and how to proceed.
                              I don't know if any state allows that, but they should!
                              Certainly isn't the law here in Virginia.

Comment

• Highwayman
                                Top Level Member
                                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                                • Sep 2014

Certainly isn't the law here in Virginia.
                                Please don't add useless comments to long-dead threads.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...