Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Injury and Worker's Compensation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Bud B

Default Re: Can I Sue a Driver Who Ran over My Foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharnasLaw View Post
Pedestrian accidents injure and kill thousands of people every year in the United States. In 2015 alone, more than 5,000 pedestrians died in traffic crashes, and over 129,000 received hospital treatment for injuries.

Although speeding, distracted driving, and other forms of recklessness account for a significant portion of these collisions, many of them occur when the vehicle is barely moving. When a car runs over a person’s foot, for example, a devastating injury can occur regardless of how fast the vehicle was traveling.

These injuries are especially common in urban centers like New York City, where the crosswalks are always crowded and traffic inches along at a snail’s pace. They can also happen right after people step out of taxis and Uber vehicles.

If a motorist ran over your foot, contact Charnas Law Firm to find out if you have grounds for a personal injury claim. Attorney Scott Charnas represents injured people throughout New York and Massachusetts and has recovered nearly $50 million in successful settlements and verdicts. Call 212-980-6800 to schedule a free case evaluation with a pedestrian accident lawyer in New York City.

Here’s what you need to know about suing a driver who ran over your foot:

Proving Fault

Barring cases that involve strict liability, negligence is the foundation of every successful personal injury claim. That means in order to recover compensation for the damages you incur, you must prove the motorist breached the duty of care owed to you as a pedestrian.

As long as you were following right-of-way laws when the accident happened, proving fault should be relatively straightforward. If you were violating the rules of the road when the incident occurred—by crossing outside of a marked crosswalk, for example—you may be considered partially liable; however, under New York’s pure comparative negligence system, it may still be possible to recover compensation for your damages. Your settlement or verdict might simply be reduced by your own percentage of fault.

Proving Damages

If a motorist ran over your foot, it is essential that you save all documentation regarding your injuries from day one. This includes diagnostic images, pharmacy receipts, and medical bills. You should also photograph the limb in question every day to record the healing process.

These documents will help your attorney prove damages. Other essential evidence might include pay stubs to document missed work, home care invoices, and receipts for medical equipment such as crutches. Your personal injury attorney will use all of this evidence to calculate a fair settlement amount.

https://www.charnaslawfirm.com/perso...n-over-my-foot

Good to know that even if I was a couple of feet outside the crosswalk, I still have a chance.
The driver in my case did not run over my foot but did hit my leg at about 20 mph.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Bud is yet another brain surgeon I see.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
geraldine33304

What happens when a car runs over a foot? I never heard of such a thing.
I assume the foot is completely crushed right?
Can anybody survive such an event with the foot still usable (even after medical care)?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Find a medical forum to ask your question in. Or ask your doctor next time you're in for a visit.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #15
truth now

I think a PI lawyer would also know the answer!