Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Domestic Violence and Abuse

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
PASSFOUR
PASSFOUR's Flag is: United States

Default Renewing protective order

San Antonio

I have a protective order against my ex that expires in about 30 days.
It has been one year. My ex is still drinking and getting into trouble though he has backed off from contacting me,

Can I get that extended? How do I do it?

I cannot afford a lawyer BTW. Unfortunately.
PASSFOUR is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Renewing protective order

How did you get it originally?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that prior to the expiration of the protective order, a petitioner may file a written motion requesting a hearing to extend the order. Proceedings to extend a protective order shall be given precedence on the docket of the court. The court may extend the protective order for a period not longer than two years to protect the health and safety of the petitioner or persons who are family or household members of the petitioner at the time the request for an extension is made. The extension of the protective order shall expire at 11:59 p.m. on the last day specified or at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the two-year period if no date is specified. Nothing shall limit the number of extensions that may be requested or issued. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

Before the protective order expires, the “applicant” (the person who filed for the order) can request an extended protection order. An extended protection order can remain in effect up to one year after the court signs it. To apply for an extended protection order, you must complete the appropriate application and file it before the court where you filed your initial TPO application.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote