Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Menlo
Menlo's Flag is: United States

Default Getting my children's father's rights terminated

Georgia

How would I go about getting my children's father's rights terminated and removed from the birth certificate? He has not been in their lives at all and is now facing felony drug distribution charges. He also has a long history of drug abuse and felony charges which have landed him in and out of prison and jail. I would like his name to be removed so that his crimes and wrong doings no longer follow them around with his last name.
Menlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Getting my children's father's rights terminated

I wish to inform you that you may seek a court order regarding termination of parental rights of father. Termination may effectively bring an end to fathers right towards children. You may argue in court that present case against father will affect well being of children and may have to show that it is in best interest of children if parental rights of father are terminated.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Highwayman
Top Level Member

You should be speaking to a local family law attorney
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Unregistered

Having somebody you marry adopt them is one good way to do it otherwise the court may not allow termination of rights and responsibilities just because you want it.
The courts don't like to make children fatherless--even if the father isn't that great.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:27 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Long-term alcohol- or drug-induced incapacity of the parent(s) & Failure to support or maintain contact with the child are valid grounds for termination of parental rights.
You should be able to get the father's rights terminated if you can prove that the parent is incapable of providing adequately for the physical, mental, emotional, or moral needs of his or her child due to the excessive use of or history of chronic unrehabilitated substance abuse.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote