Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Government and Administrative Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
ammlon
ammlon's Flag is: United States

Default Product of USA, Chile OR Brazil? Is that legal?

I have fruit product that I have been buying a lot recently and it is dried and in a package that says:

"Product of USA, Chile or Brazil." (the underline I added)

Is that legal?

I want to know exactly where it is from.

If that is allowed (listing multiple possible sources of origin) then producers could just list 2 or 4 or 8 countries and defeat the entire purpose??
ammlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Product of USA, Chile OR Brazil? Is that legal?

I wish to inform you that Section 304 of the Tariff Act of 1930 as amended (19 U.S.C. § 1304) requires most imports, including many food items, to bear labels informing the ultimate purchaser of their country of origin. Meats, produce, and several other raw agricultural products generally were exempt. The 2002 farm bill (P.L. 107-171, Sec. 10816), however, contains a requirement that many retail establishments provide, starting on September 30, 2004, country-of-origin information on fresh fruits and vegetables, red meats, seafood, and peanuts. However, the consolidated FY2004 appropriation (P.L. 108-199) signed January 23, 2004, delayed this requirement for two years except for seafood.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
Miranda77

I am not sure that is legal, you may have a point:

See:
Can terms such as “or,” “and/or,” and “may contain” be used in COOL statements?

The statute does not allow for the use of terms and phrases such as “or,” “may contain,” or “and/or” that only convey a list of possible origins. The intent of the statute is to require retailers to provide specific origin information to consumers. In addition, such disjunctive labeling schemes are not allowed under Customs and Border Protection regulations except under special circumstances.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
Unregistered

Country of Origin Labeling (COOL)

Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is a consumer labeling law that requires retailers (most grocery stores and supermarkets) to identify the country of origin on certain foods referred to as “covered commodities”. Law does not allow for the use of terms and phrases such as “or,” “may contain,” or “and/or” that only convey a list of possible origins. The intent of the statute is to require retailers to provide specific origin information to consumers. In addition, such disjunctive labeling schemes are not allowed under Customs and Border Protection regulations except under special circumstances.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Unregistered

So it seems the the company is not labeling legally right?