USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Can I withdraw a donation I made to a tax exempt charity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BatWom
    • Sep 2019
    • United States

Can I withdraw a donation I made to a tax exempt charity?

NY

Can I withdraw a donation I made to a tax exempt charity (5 months ago) if I have come to learn things about the organization that I do not agree with.

Do I have that legal right? Or is there some procedure I could follow or something?

Thank you.
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Can I withdraw a donation I made to a tax exempt charity?

Sorry, if you already paid the money, there are no take backs.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that when a donor gives money to a nonprofit organization, that money is no longer the donor’s once accepted by the charity. Instead, the money is, in effect, owned by the public interest. Because nonprofit organizations exist to benefit the public interest, regulators will be concerned that gifts are used to further the public interest. Returning a donor’s gift could be contrary to the public interest. That’s the issue for regulators. Further, nonprofit organizations are required to return a donor’s gift if the funds cannot be used according to the donor’s intent or if any significant provisions of a gift agreement are violated. The donor’s intent and/or the gift agreement are a contract governing the relationship between the donor and the organization. Nonprofit organizations are legally bound by such agreements. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF

Comment

• kallpo
        • Jan 2019
        • United States

That would seem to possibly open the door to challenging the gift?

Comment

• Highwayman
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kallpo
          That would seem to possibly open the door to challenging the gift?
          No, it would not.

Comment

• Unregistered

Why not?
            It seems there are reasons that DO justify returns in some cases.

Comment

• olive
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Mar 2008

Angie, rec'd your pmessage ---The bottom line is that it is NOT easy at all. If you give you give. Absent fraud or criminal activity or contract provisions in the gift, you have little chance of undoing the gift--unfortunately.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...