Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
miimaa

Question Minnesota - child lives with father, father still paying support to mother

My 12 year old son has lived with me for the past year. This is an arrangement his mother agreed to at my son's request. Child support is withheld from my check and sent to her by the county. She buys nothing for my son, does not give him any money. I provide all his care. She has agreed I should not be paying support to her but neither of us know how to stop it. Of course she has not offered to just give me the money either.

We were never married. I signed Recognition of Parentage at the hospital. There was never a custody order. Custody was automatically to her. What do I need to do to end child support payments to her? I spoke to an attorney who wants $2700.00 to file papers in court. I cannot afford that.

The courts here have forms available. I am unsure which forms I need. Could it be as simple as just filing a Motion to Modify Child Support? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
miimaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: Minnesota - child lives with father, father still paying support to mother

Yes, it is. You do not need an attorney if you feel confident to file on your own. You can have it modified to zero.

I would recommend obtaining an order showing custody and visitation.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Minnesota - child lives with father, father still paying support to mother

I wish to inform you that if both you and mother agree to stop child support then generally mother can complete a request to stop services form from the Minnesota Child Support Division website or from local child support office and submit it to your local child support office. In case of DHS you or mother can file Form 4060 can be used. As child is with you thus you can inform child collection agency about the fact that child is with you thus child support collection must be stopped. As there was no court order for child support or custody then both the parties can thus write to child support collection agency.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote