•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markbook
    • Jun 2019
    • United States

Can a sixteen year old sue a parent in family court

Can a sixteen year old sue a parent in family court for being unreasonable and abusing a child? And can damages be awarded? Parents have very high income and savings.

I wont go into details here but the treatment is bordering on abuse according to some staff at my school.

I would love a jury to decide!
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Can a sixteen year old sue a parent in family court

Are you the sixteen year old?

Unreasonable is not actionable.

Bordering on abuse and abuse are two different things.

Describe what the parent is doing to you.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that children, or minors, don't have the full legal capacity of adults. Typically, minors aren’t granted the rights of adults until they reach the age of 18, although this varies from state to state (19 in Alabama and Nebraska, 21 in Mississippi). Children don't have the right to sue or be sued. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Nov 2011

If you actually are being abused first the courts will remove you from your home, then place you into foster care. The state pays those adults to feed you and keep you in a bed. It’s not a great situation.

If you are truly being abused you’ll be thankful to escape. Otherwise you’ll wish for home.

Comment

• Lexus
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2010
          • United States

The abuse of a child is a heinous act causing permanent psychological, sexual, emotional, social, and physical damage to the child. Victims of child abuse and neglect deserve justice. If you suspect a child may be in danger, call 911 or call your State Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Numbers. Don’t worry about being sued for reporting child abuse. State programs receiving federal funds are required to provide immunity to people who make good-faith reports of child abuse or neglect.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc

If you actually are being abused first the courts will remove you from your home, then place you into foster care. The state pays those adults to feed you and keep you in a bed. It’s not a great situation.

If you are truly being abused you’ll be thankful to escape. Otherwise you’ll wish for home.
            That seems to be the solution yes for a 16 yr old. I have not seen a case where the kid successfully sues the parent at that age. And I worked in the court clerk's office 19 years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...