• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • briteboch5
    • Oct 2016
    • United States

Percentage an attorney takes in a contingency case

Hi:
    Can you tell me what's the normal or most common percentage an attorney takes in a contingency car accident case?
    Is one third the standard? Or is it higher these days? Is it reasonable to stick with one third when discussing with the attorney?
  • goddessoflubboc
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Nov 2011

Re: Percentage an attorney takes in a contingency case

One third to 40% is typical but it's something to discuss with the specific lawyer.

Comment

• Unregistered

And 50% you should find another lawyer, if over 50% is even allowed in the state.
      Many State Bars do have guidelines on contingency fees.

Comment

• adjusterjack
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • May 2016

Originally posted by briteboch5
        Hi:
        Can you tell me what's the normal or most common percentage an attorney takes in a contingency car accident case?
        Is one third the standard? Or is it higher these days? Is it reasonable to stick with one third when discussing with the attorney?
        One third or 30% is typical, with 40% if it goes to suit/trial.

I don't know what you mean by "stick with one third." If the attorney tells you his fee and you don't like it you are free to offer less and he is free to send you packing.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

That said if the case goes to court lawyers percentage usually goes up significantly
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Wenton2
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2016
            • United States

30 to 45% anything else is suspect.

Comment

• Unregistered

Is 500 dollars up front plus 25% a reasonable offer for fees by the attorney on a slip and fall case?

Comment

• adjusterjack
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Unregistered
                Is 500 dollars up front plus 25% a reasonable offer for fees by the attorney on a slip and fall case?
                Yes.

Quite reasonable.

Comment

• Disagreeable
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Oct 2012
                  • United States

Don't expect the payout to be much more than medical bills and $500 in most cases. If it goes to court, expect to pay $10k or more up front.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

• Unregistered

You should not be paying out of pocket for a valid slip and fall case. There are many attorneys that will do it completely on contingency.
                    500 dollars might be somewhat ok, but anything else needs to be on contingency or find another attorney (unless you don't mind paying out of your own pocket).

Comment

• Disagreeable
                      Top Level Member
                      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                      • Oct 2012
                      • United States

Slip and fall cases are ambulance chaser cases unless coma, broken bones or provable TBI is present.

Comment

• Unregistered

"Slip and fall cases are ambulance chaser cases"

What does that mean? I don't get the point of that sentence?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...