•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QQQ44
    • May 2019
    • United States

Can I have marijuana in my car that I bought legally in Colorado

Can I have marijuana in my car that I bought legally in Colorado (where it's 100% legal) if I am driving cross country and through states that do not sell it or where it is not legal?

If not what am I supposed to do with it? Dump it at the border on the road?
    That doesn't seem right either.

I m driving from Colorado where its legal to Michigan where it's legal but I have to pass through 3 states that are still in the dark ages.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Can I have marijuana in my car that I bought legally in Colorado

I wish to inform you that despite what a state’s marijuana laws says, the possession and sale of marijuana remains illegal under federal law by way of the Controlled Substance Act. And where federal and state law clash, federal law will always trump. To date, federal law enforcement agencies have left prosecution of minor marijuana cases to the states, even in Colorado where recreational use is permitted. That doesn’t mean, however, that the federal government has given up on enforcing restrictions on possession, manufacturing and cultivation and trafficking and distribution of controlled substances, including marijuana. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF

Comment

• Highwayman
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2014

No, you may not.

Comment

• adjusterjack
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • May 2016

Originally posted by QQQ44

I m driving from Colorado where its legal to Michigan where it's legal but I have to pass through 3 states that are still in the dark ages.
        Drive the speed limit and don't do anything that will get you pulled over.

Get a haircut, shave, remove facial metal, wear a dress shirt, cover your tats, and hope your Colorado plates don't get you pulled over.

Or, leave your stash in Colorado and buy a new supply when you get to Michigan.

Comment

• Lexus
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2010
          • United States

Marijuana possession, sale, and distribution is regulated by both state and federal law. In Colorado, marijuana is regulated as a controlled substance. But it legal under state law for adults (people 21 years old or older) to possess and cultivate certain amounts of marijuana for personal use. And while Colorado marijuana laws have changed, it is important to remember that federal law still classifies marijuana as an illegal controlled substance (although personal possession of less than one ounce of marijuana is unlikely to actually draw federal attention).

There may also be some exceptions to the following laws for medical marijuana possession and use. And, while not covered below, it is also a crime to drive under the influence of marijuana in Colorado.

In Colorado, Possession of more than one ounce of marijuana for personal (not public) use is a criminal offense. Penalties depend on the amount possessed.

As per law, you can carry marijuana in your car, but it must be in a sealed container, and it cannot cross state boundaries. In other words, the federal government has jurisdiction when things cross state borders, and since federal law still prohibits marijuana this would be illegal.

Another problem is the way in which the state laws regarding marijuana have been authorized. Generally, to avoid federal entanglement, legal marijuana must follow specific state standards, be locally grown, and can usually only be used and sold legally by those who are licensed by the state to do so. As a result, while most states would offer “full faith and credit” to those holding certain legal authorizations in one state to do the same thing in that jurisdiction (like allowing drivers licensed in another state to operate motor vehicles on the local jurisdiction's highways), the same is not afforded to marijuana use because of the local licensing requirements.

Comment

• Highwayman
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lexus
            Marijuana possession, sale, and distribution...
            Now you're adding necro-posting to your repertoire?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...