• Show
Clear All
  • christine123
    • Sep 2017
    • UK

Update (LONG POST)

Hello
    I'm back
    I joined this forum last year, but my situation has now changed, and I have a rather complex situation on my hands!!!!
    Obviously, I have no idea how to navigate through these complexities without the help of this forum, so i need your help
    BACKGROUND
    My husband: green card holder (legally living in USA since being a young child), lives in CA, age 58, physically disabled with no chance of recovery (more on that later), in receipt of SSI payments for his disability, health cover provided by Medicaid (or the CA equivalent), no private pension, living in rented accommodation.
    Me: UK citizen, live in UK, age 55, live in rented accommodation, no savings, in receipt of social security benefit for disability, health care covered by NHS and private therapist.
    Married: 20 years ago, but I returned straight to UK and we lost contact until last year. I have visited him twice recently.

PROBLEM
    Given my husband is on a green card living in USA and I live in UK, we want to live as a married couple primarily, and secondary so I can provide him with care that he needs, so what is the best option to get me legally into USA? Also given that he has a progressive illness, and is in need of care, is there any way that we can speed up the immigration process without him becoming a US citizen (finances are tight - no savings).
    So my dear friends, once again I find myself in need of your help. and thank you for any advise you can give.
    I do have so many more questions, but I will post them on another thread in the relevant section.
  • Highwayman
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2014

Re: Update (LONG POST)

So you got married 20 years ago and left him for some reason and never had any contact with him until recently? How do you think that will look to US Immigration authorities if you're trying to convince them it's a legit marriage?

What was your reason for leaving him and never having contact with him??

You really need an immigration attorney in the US, not an online Internet forum. Your problem is way beyond the scope of a forum of this type, ESPECIALLY this one.

Comment

• Lexus
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2010
      • United States

If the marriage is legally valid and you have the marriage certificate, your husband can file a petition to bring you to US. It is good to consult an immigration lawyer to help you in the process.

Comment

• AFFA
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that your husband may file a petition for your immigration. However, the burden to prove a good faith marriage to the immigration authorities will be on both of you. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance. Your husband may contact Legal Aid if eligible and seek guidance free or at low cost.

AFF

Comment

• olive
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Mar 2008

What was the purpose of getting married if you immediately left then for 20 years?
          It seems a bit unusual.
          Though that alone does not invalidate the marriage.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...