Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andros 1337

FALSE information in an imported textbook

I just ordered an international edition textbook online at ValoreBooks.com, and in the textbook, I noticed there is a FALSE statement about importing them outside Asia. It says that it is illegal to import them outside of Asia. THAT IS TOTALLY FALSE! In 1998, there was a ruling that declared that the importation of international edition textbooks in the gray market is totally legal in the U.S.

Why would the publisher post LYING info? The publisher is Wiley, and the book is Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers (4th Edition, Asia Student Edition). I feel like suing the publisher myself.

Read the New York Times article here:
    Students Find $100 Textbooks Cost $50, Purchased Overseas - New York Times
  • Unregistered

Re: FALSE information in an imported textbook

You might report them to the state attorney general's office and to the Federal Trade Commission, and let those agencies do the work for you!

Perhaps write them firstly and ask them to explain?

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
      You might report them to the state attorney general's office and to the Federal Trade Commission, and let those agencies do the work for you!

Perhaps write them firstly and ask them to explain?
      Well, for comparison, I have also bought two international edition textbooks published by Pearson Education. The two Pearson books state that if the book was purchased in the U.S. or Canada, it says that it has been wrongfully imported. It does not use misleading/threatening terms such as illegal or law, as there is no such law that prevents the importation of international edition textbooks in the gray market. At least Pearson is using more appropriate, less threatening words about their importation into the U.S.

Comment

• Unregistered

yes that is kinda true, but the publishers are now saying that since the book was printed overseas, it is a violation of their right to distribute. There are thousands of lawsuits of people getting sued for selling online. If the item was printed in USA and it was re-imported in then it is 100% fine but if the item was printed overseas then they are saying copyright infringement. I think they are really pushing the law to the edge with this one. What about the common control law? They own the subsidiary overseas and get paid either way?

Comment

• Unregistered

Since you mentioned textbook in Asia as well as false information, I have a problem, this textbook approved by the government, used in public schools in the Philippines has violated moral rights of the author. The publisher and editor stole the author's previously written article, distorted (rewrote in full rather erroneously) the original article but still placed the original author's name. Now, the publisher is claiming innocence. Help, please. Author is simply of meager means.

Comment

• Unregistered

Pearson: News

Both Pearson and Whiley are saying they settled a lawsuit with companies importing textbooks.

Comment

• Unregistered

I would like to see more info on that!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...