Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
deebee

Question Legal? Renewal Lease with Scratched Out Start Date, Written In New Date, Initialed.

My landlord only gave me 30 days to look over my renewal lease, I requested a new start date 60 days after renewal would have begun. Old date was 6/1/15 and the new date would be 8/1/15. I'm in the SCRIE Program. I wanted him to send me two new top sheets with the new date.

My landlord (lazy as they come) said to SCRATCH OUT prior date of 6/1, write in new date of 8/1 and initial it, sign it and send both copies of renewal lease back to him for his initials on the new date and his signature at the bottom. He would (supposedly) be initialing both our copies. Sending me my copy.

Is this LEGAL? Something I should go along with. Am I at any risk of him not initialing his copy and down the road claiming fraud or some such thing.???

Thanks
deebee
deebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Legal? Renewal Lease with Scratched Out Start Date, Written In New Date, Initiale

I wish to inform you that a valid agreement involves offer and acceptance to terms. If landlord has signed and provided a copy of lease agreement to you then it is valid agreement. Further signature or initial of landlord over cutting may show his acceptance to amendment. You may alternatively print new agreement and have that signed by your landlord.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2015, 03:08 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Legal? Renewal Lease with Scratched Out Start Date, Written In New Date, Initiale

In a Lease Agreement, if there is something crossed out, both parties must initial the change for the same to take effect. There is nothing illegal in doing the same. But there is a high risk factor that the Landlord have the privilege of claiming the excuse that you illegally altered the lease. So it’s better to make the lease proper. Seek an attorney advice who may guide you with this.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
deebee

Thanks for the responses.
I DO NOT want to feel uneasy about this whole thing.

I think it's best to have him send me a NEW LEASE with correct dates included. Sending certified letter to this lazy landlord to request NEW LEASE with proper start and end dates. He never even indicated other parts of the attached pages I had to sign, just let me find them myself.

He does NOTHING in person, all by mail.

Again thanks
denise
deebee is offline   Reply With Quote