USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

MA Condo association wants a key to my unit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

MA Condo association wants a key to my unit.

Massachusetts Condo association wants a key to my unit. The board of trustees has adopted rules that say all units must provide keys to the management company. It this legal?

Thanks!
  • Lexus
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2010
    • United States

Re: MA Condo association wants a key to my unit.

Every Condo Association has an irrevocable right of access to each unit during reasonable hours when necessary for the maintenance, repair, or replacement of any common elements or of any portion of a unit to be maintained by the association or as necessary to prevent damage to the common elements or to a unit. For you as a unit owner this may seem to be intrusive. In the event of an emergency, valuable time may be lost gaining access to a unit while trying to locate the owner. In such a situation the safety and concern of the occupant as well as that of his neighbors will come to an issue. So we suggest you to give a key of your unit to the Association. If you are concerned of your valuables then we prefer you to put the items in a safe box at the unit.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Lexus
      Every Condo Association has an irrevocable right of access to each unit during reasonable hours when necessary for the maintenance, repair, or replacement of any common elements or of any portion of a unit to be maintained by the association or as necessary to prevent damage to the common elements or to a unit. For you as a unit owner this may seem to be intrusive. In the event of an emergency, valuable time may be lost gaining access to a unit while trying to locate the owner. In such a situation the safety and concern of the occupant as well as that of his neighbors will come to an issue. So we suggest you to give a key of your unit to the Association. If you are concerned of your valuables then we prefer you to put the items in a safe box at the unit.
      This is patently incorrect.

When you buy a condo, you own it. This means the condo association has no right to access your private dwelling that you bought and paid for. They have access to the outside of the condo only. Not the inside.

Literally everything inside the condo belongs solely to the owner of the condo. Not the Condo Association. They have no business going into your home and they do not need a key to enter. They are not landlords. They are an association that keeps the outside and the grounds maintained.

Please do not trust "Lexus's" advice (and I use that word loosely).

Refuse, and if they push it, take them to court. They are pushing their powers a bit too far.

Comment

• JennyBoston

When you buy a condo you ARE agreeing to the terms of the condo doc which include the Master Deed, Trust, By-Laws.

So Unregistered. You are patently wrong. When you buy a condo you are obligated to whatever the Master Deed states and right of access to any unit for the purpose of, but not limited to, maintenance/repairing to common elements is standard. As well as emergency such as fire or floor. Or in the case where noxious fumes or other non-permitted activity. Or where the state of repair or maintenance of that unit adversely affect the others as in the case of pests...for example, roaches, mice, bed bugs. And often any costs associated with addressing such issues will be a lien against the unit.

Comment

• Unregistered

What about maintenance letting themselves in without any attempt to contact me so that the unit downstairs can have cable installed by running the cable through my storage closet that can only be accessed via my balcony? That doesn't seem like necessary repair to any common elements and the cable company has since already needed to access that closet an additional time on behalf of the resident below. I'm guessing I have the right to forbid any additional access ever again for any reason regarding my neighbor's cable television.

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

If you have an issue with the application of Association rules, you take it up at their next meeting.

Originally posted by Unregistered
            What about maintenance letting themselves in without any attempt to contact me so that the unit downstairs can have cable installed by running the cable through my storage closet that can only be accessed via my balcony? That doesn't seem like necessary repair to any common elements and the cable company has since already needed to access that closet an additional time on behalf of the resident below. I'm guessing I have the right to forbid any additional access ever again for any reason regarding my neighbor's cable television.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

Can I refuse to grant access if I give the association a person and phone contact that has the key, and that person can come immediately if the association needs to enter for some legitimate reason?

Comment

• Unregistered

That is an offer you can make but the rules of the association still govern.

Comment

• Disagreeable
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Oct 2012
                  • United States

Give them the key, seal it in an effective plastic covering, with your initials under tape such that it cannot be used without revealing the fact. Get a receipt for giving them the key.
                  Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Manny775

In my association you MUST leave a key with maintenance for emergencies. They will not use it without trying to contact you but they can use it e.g. if a flooding of units has or is occurring. And it IS legal. They will remove and damage the lock and door if you did not provide the correct key.

It is a rule of the association. No exceptions. For the safety of all!

Comment

• Unregistered

If they require a a key as part of HOA rules, and you don't provide it then the door or lock can be removed and you pay in the event of an emergency.
                      That's the rule at our building in Tampa.

Comment

• Freedom usa 45

I would NEVER give the key to those fascist HOA boards!

Comment

• adjusterjack
                          Top Level Member
                          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Freedom usa 45
                          I would NEVER give the key to those fascist HOA boards!
                          If you actually live in an HOA you'd be fined and a lien put on your home.

If you don't live in an HOA what others do or don't do is really none of your business.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...