Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > NONPROFIT LAW and FUNDRAISING > Starting a Nonprofit

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Aztek

Default 17 y.o., non-resident of the US setting up non-profit

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for an answer to my question in many different places and in each of them they told me different things. That's why I decided to post it in here. My question is as follows:

Can a minor (17 y.o.), non-resident of the US, set up a non-profit company using services of a corporation like IncParadise.com (Nevada Incorporation & Registered Agent)?

I'd be pleased to receive any help from you.

Regards,
Aztek
Aztek is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: 17 y.o., non-resident of the US setting up non-profit

The age of majority, the age at which one is considered an adult,in Nevada is 18 years of age.

The problem with attempting to set up a corporation, bind yourself legally to anything, is that you are not yet of legal age.

As officer of the corporation, you would not be legal to contract any business of the corporation.

Wait until 18 is my recommendation. Or, have someone you trust like a relative incorporate for you.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
sandyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for an answer to my question in many different places and in each of them they told me different things. That's why I decided to post it in here. My question is as follows:

Can a minor (17 y.o.), non-resident of the US, set up a non-profit company using services of a corporation like IncParadise.com (Nevada Incorporation & Registered Agent)?

I'd be pleased to receive any help from you.

Regards,
Aztek
As an unemancipated minor, you won't be able to legally enter into any kind of enforceable contracts that these corporations would require of you. Any contract you might sign could easily be voided by you simply by virtue of you not being legally able to enter into the contract in the first place. Many companies would not be willing to do business with you for that reason alone until you turn 18.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Aztek

All right, but let's put this that way: The corporation would not do any business. In the other words, I just need a paper that I have such a corporation. The paper is necessary for me to run another stuff here, in Poland. So, for the US, it's just about setting up a non-profit company. How's that? No business at all.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
All right, but let's put this that way: The corporation would not do any business. In the other words, I just need a paper that I have such a corporation. The paper is necessary for me to run another stuff here, in Poland. So, for the US, it's just about setting up a non-profit company. How's that? No business at all.
If a US document is not legal in the U.S., it would not be recognized in Poland. The non profit would not be legal in the U.S. because you are not at age 17 legal to create one. The corporation would not be legally formed.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Sounds like you are trying to set up a scam. A non profit has more noble purposes than that. Hire a lawyer if you want to take advantage or misrepresent things to others.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
sandyclaus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disagreeable View Post
Sounds like you are trying to set up a scam. A non profit has more noble purposes than that. Hire a lawyer if you want to take advantage or misrepresent things to others.
I'm going to have to agree here.

You are not going to be able to set up a fake/sham corporation in order to do whatever it is you're trying to accomplish, because you can't incorporate as a 17-year-old. PERIOD.

A corporation that does nothing is nothing but a scam - and I'm sure you know that. We are not going to help you with your illegal activities. If you want legal help to do that, hire an attorney for yourself.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Aztek

This may sound like a scam, but it isn't. Let me explain. All I wanted to do is to register such a non-profit company as a publisher of my web journal, here in Poland. This is need to be done to get privileges of a journalist from the court of law, which I need to get access to backstage informations from events like concerts or shows. I couldn't set up a company in Poland, as it is very, very expensive and starts at $4000/year for necessary insurance (whatever you do). The web journal would have absolutely no income, so would be a non-profit organization providing information. Simple as that. I do however acknowledge that as a minor I cannot incorporate in the US and this means that I'll need to find another way to do, what I'm trying to do (setting up a legal web journal). Thank you all for your responses, they really helped me.

Cheers,
Aztek