Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Other Criminal Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
taper2

Default Police threatened me until search was allowed by me

NY

Cops show up at my house on a tip there were drugs inside, without a warrant. They asked to come in, I said no. They said we’d be detained (there were 3 others there) until they got a warrant. I said no. Then they said we’d all be arrested if they couldn’t come in. So I reluctantly agreed. Once inside they said nobody would go to jail if I agreed to work with them. I said I’d think about it to buy time. They did find something inside. My question is can I be charged with what they found even if they threatened me with detainment and arrest before I agreed to a search?
taper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Police threatened me until search was allowed by me

Quote:
My question is can I be charged with what they found
Yes.

Quote:
even if they threatened me with detainment and arrest before I agreed to a search?
Yes.

You should have lawyered up and not let them in. They could have been bluffing about the warrant.

Lawyer up now and keep your mouth shut.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Police threatened me until search was allowed by me

As you have no obligation to give consent you can respectfully refuse entrance into your home because you will be charged if they search and seize any illegal material from your house. It is wise to be lawyered in similar situation.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote